The standard Mental Health First Aid™ (MHFA) Australia is a 12 hour (4 modules, each 3 hours) course taught by accredited Mental Health First Aid instructors. It has been designed for adults helping adults.
Course participants who successfully complete both days receive a copy of the standard MHFA Manual and a certificate of completion.
The course will be delivered over two consecutive days at Community Housing Industry Association on Tuesday 9 and Wednesday 10 July 2018
About this course
Mental Health First Aid is the help provided to a person who is developing a mental health problem, or who is in a mental health crisis. Like physical first aid, mental health first aid is given until the person receives professional help or until the crisis resolves.
It is structured around similar principles to physical first aid so that those assisting have an understanding of:
- Signs and symptoms of mental illnesses and crises
- How to assist and support someone experiencing mental health problems
- Strategies for assisting in a mental health crisis
- How to refer and provide information on professional support
Aims of the course
The course will:
- briefly introduce MHFA and its background
- cover developing mental health problems:
- substance misuse
- cover mental health crises:
- suicidal thoughts and behaviours
- non-suicidal self-injury
- panic attacks
- traumatic events
- severe psychotic states
- acute effects from alcohol or other drug misuse
- aggressive behaviours
Participants will learn the signs and symptoms of these mental health problems, where and how to get help, and what sort of help has been shown by research to be effective.
** Ian Goodhardt holds Masters degrees in Counselling and Conflict resolution. He has worked in family law mediation for over ten years. Ian is an accredited Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) instructor and has been teaching this course since 2006.
Who should attend?
- Frontline workers
- Housing/Tenancy workers
- Case managers
- Community development workers and tenant (resident) leaders
- Housing advocates
- Managers and supervisors
We will provide all the materials necessary for the course, including a 140-page full colour manual, a certificate for each attendee upon successful completion. The course is based on professionally produced PowerPoint presentation, and includes many activities, videos and exercises.