The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA) is the most important legislative framework for the Community Housing Sector.
CHIAVIC annually provides tenancy staff with a refresher forum on the RTA covering a number of issues that experienced tenancy workers in member organisations would like discussed.
Topics will include:
- Latest VCAT News
- The Residential Tenancies Amendment Act 2018
- Changes resulting from the RTA Amendment Act that have already been brought in
- Changes resulting from the RTA Amendment Act that will be brought in by 1st July 2020
- Presenting your case at VCAT
- Human Rights Charter considerations
Other topics of your choice. Topics at recent forums have included:
- 120—day notices
- Sub-letting and assignment, including Air BnB type cases
- Nuisance behaviour – Breach of Duty Notices, Compliance, Termination
- Danger, damage, disruption – Immediate Notice to Vacate
- Tenant-caused damage – Notice to Repair, Breach of Duty Notice, Compliance
- Abandoned tenancies & abandoned goods
- Gaining entry to rented premises
- Duties of Landlords and Owners
- Duties of Tenants and Residents
- Breach of Duty Notices from Tenants
- Breaking a lease
- Illegal behaviour
- Open Questions/Discussion
- Anything else you want covered
The forum will provide an opportunity to address some of these issues and engage in discussion with other tenancy and support worker practitioners.
This forum is aimed at experienced tenancy management and support staff (more than 2 years) who have a good working knowledge of the RTA and/ or have at a minimum completed the “CHFV Introduction to the RTA” and/or the TAFE RTA Courses.